The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) was discovered in 1990. This system is like the air traffic control center for the body. It helps regulate background functions like mood, temperature, itchiness, oil production, pain, sleep, and skin functions. The ECS works with compounds that your body naturally produces called endo-cannabinoids. Cannabinoids from plants are called phyto-cannabinoids. While CBD is popular and probably the best-known, there are over 100 different cannabinoids found in the hemp plant.
Cannabinoids play a key role in maintaining healthy skin and hair. Keeping your ECS healthy and happy helps all your body’s systems do their jobs better—including the job of producing healthy new skin and hair cells.
Here are just a few of the ways cannabinoids contribute to skin and hair health:
- They reduce cortisol, the stress hormone. Cortisol suppresses the formation of collagen, which is the building block for skin and hair cells. Cortisol is hell on your skin and hair!
- Cannabinoids are antioxidants that fight free radicals and halt oxidation (think about when a cut apple is left out and turns brown—that’s oxidation). Your skin is in constant renewal, shedding old dead cells and creating new ones. Oxidation interferes with that renewal process, leading to cell mutations and premature aging, lines, and wrinkles.
- Cannabinoids decrease inflammation, which may cause seborrheic dermatitis, a.k.a. dandruff, as well as skin itching and redness. Inflammation also contributes to fine lines and wrinkles.
- Cannabinoids may ease scalp pain associated with tight hairstyles and harsh chemicals.
- They may help the body produce more compounds that defend against harmful UV rays.
- By reducing stress hormones, cannabinoids may decrease stress-related graying of hair.
Humans respond to the cannabis plant precisely because our bodies already use cannabinoids to regulate many functions through the ECS. Whether they’re made by your body or by a plant, cannabinoids are a powerful ally when it comes to maintaining the health and vitality of your skin and hair.
🌱 🌱 🌱
Wanna learn more about stress, skin + hair health and plant-based beauty solutions? We got you!
The Endocannabinoid System: What Is It and Why Should You Care?
What Are Cannabinoids and How Do They Work?
What Stress Does to Your Skin and Hair
Don't miss our new product offerings!
Attuning Hair Potion
Attuning Face Potion
Beauty Rest Tea
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.